The charismatic figure of Pablo Escobar has been portrayed in several movies, documentaries and TV series. In the movie ‘Blow’, the biopic about George Jung, we can just witness a few short episodes in Escobar’s life. However, several other film projects showcase his short but ruthless life. The following list gives you an overview of the most interesting Pablo Escobar films so far:
- Pablo Escobar: King of Cocaine is a 1998 TV documentary directed by Steven Dupler. The documentary depicts the life of the Colombian drugs lord based on actual footage, home videos and interviews with family members of the Escobar clan. This TV film is still the most famous and complete life story in English language to date. (Although this will change very soon with several major film projects in the make.)
- Escobar, el patrón del mal is a 2012 mini series (13 episodes) broadcast by the Colombian production house Caracol TV. The series received very good reviews and while spoken in Spanish, English subtitles are available.
- The Two Escobars is a 2010 documentary, telling the life story of two unrelated persons sharing the same last name: Pablo Escobar, the famous drugs kingpin, and Andres Escobar, a Colombian national football player who committed a crucial mistake by scoring an own goal on the 1994 world cup, for which he had to pay with his life. The documentary was very well received on several international film festivals, like the ‘Los Angeles Film Festival’ and the ‘Festival de Cannes’.
- The True Story of Killing Pablo is another documentary, produced in 2002 and aired on History Channel. The film is also available for purchase on DVD. The documentary is based on Mark Bowden’s famous book Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World s Greatest Outlaw.
- Sins of My Father, a 2009 HBO documentary directed by Nicolas Entel, tells the story of Pablo Escobar as witnessed by his son Sebastian Marroquin and his wife Maria Isabel Santos. The film was nominated for Grand Jury Prize at the ‘Sundance Film Festival’ and won the Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize at the ‘Miami Film Festival’.
At the time of writing, several major film projects are still in production and will be released soon:
- King of Cocaine (a.k.a The Ballad of Pablo Escobar) is a film project in pre-production, directed by Brad Furman. According to the latest rumors, the Colombia born top actor John Leguizamo will perform the leading role of Pablo Escobar. The film is expected to be released somewhere in 2014.
- Another major film project in the make is Paradise Lost, directed by Andrea Di Stefano and with Benicio Del Toro performing the role of Escobar. This romance / thriller is planned to be released in 2014 and tells the story of a young surfer meeting the girl of his life on the beaches of Colombia. Things turn bad however when he meets the uncle of his dream girl, nobody less than Escobar himself.