Blow (which is slang for cocaine) is the name of the 2001 hit movie about the life of George Jung, starring Johnny Depp as George and Penélope Cruz as Mirtha Jung. The movie is directed by Ted Demme, who unfortunately died in 2002, about 1 year after the release of Blow. The film maker died from a heart attack during a basketball game with friends. Ironically, an autopsy uncovered that the heart attack was probably caused by the use of cocaine, from which traces were found in his system.
Support George and our website by purchasing BLOW on Blu Ray DVD!
About the movie Blow
Blow is based on the 1993 book Blow: How a Small Town Boy Made $100 Million with the Medellín Cocaine Cartel and Lost It All, written by Bruce Porter. The movie, released on April 6th 2001, was immediately a huge success and made George Jung instantly famous in America and far beyond it’s borders.
The film opens with George just being a 10 year old child and his parents having financial problems because of a bankruptcy. After, we see George as a young adult moving to California and getting more and more involved in the drugs trade, at which point the storyline really takes off.
To make the movie as true as possible, Ted Demme and Johnny Depp visited the real George Jung several times in Otisville Federal Prison. This resulted in an really interesting 8 part video interview with George Jung which can be watched for free on our website.
One of the major differences with the real story however is the role of Diego Delgado, the partner in crime of George Jung. Diego Delgado is a fictional name for Carlos Lehder, who was Jung’s business partner in real life. The reason why the film makers chose to give Lehder a fictional name is unknown.
The cast of Blow
The cast of Blow consists of many famous movie stars:
- Johnny Depp as George Jung
- Penélope Cruz as Mirtha Jung
- Emma Roberts as Kristina Sunshine Jung
- Franka Potente as Barbara “Barbie” Buckley
- Jordi Molla as Diego Delgado (fictional name for Carlos Lehder)
- Cliff Curtis as Pablo Escobar
- Ray Liotta as Fred Jung
- Rachel Griffiths as Ermine Jung
- Paul Reubens as Derek Foreal (fictional name for Richard Barile)
- Max Perlich as Kevin Dulli
- Miguel Sandoval as Augusto Oliveras
- Ethan Suplee as “Tuna”
- Kevin Gage as Leon Minghella
- Tony Amendola as Sanchez
- Jesse James as Young George
- Alan James Morgan as Young “Tuna”
- Jaime King as Older Kristina
Blow, the official movie trailer
If you never saw the movie Blow, then we recommend that you watch the official trailer from 2001, when the movie was first released.
The soundtrack of Blow
The soundtrack of Blow offers a great mix of well known classics from the 70s, as well as some less famous songs. With 4.5 stars out of 5, the soundtrack receives excellent reviews on Amazon.com.
Some of the more famous artists include ‘The Rolling Stones’, ‘Cream’, ‘Bob Dylan’, ‘Lynyrd Skynyrd’ and ‘KC & The Sunshine Band’.
- Can’t You Hear Me Knocking – Rolling Stones
- Rumble – Link Wray
- Glad And Sorry – Faces
- Strange Brew – Cream
- Black Betty – Ram Jam
- Blinded By The Light – Manfred Mann
- Let’s Boogaloo – Willie Rosario
- Keep It Comin’ – KC & The Sunshine Band
- Yellow World – J Girls
- That Smell – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- All The Tired Horses – Bob Dylan
- Can’t You See – Marshall Tucker Band
- Push & Pull – Nikka Costa